Vatican: Investigations continue into Archbishop Wesolowski case
(Vatican Radio) The Dominican Republic’s top prosecutor, Francisco Dominguez Brito, met on Tuesday with his Vatican counterpart, Professor Gian Piero Milano to discuss the case against Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, the Vatican’s former Apostolic Nuncio to the Dominican Republic. A statement released by the Vatican Press Office’s director, Father Federico Lombardi, said the meeting came as part of the ongoing international cooperation between the relevant bodies collecting information and evidence about Archbishop Weselowski who was recalled from his post last year after allegations of abuse against minors.
Father Lombardi described the meeting as “useful” given the complexity of the ongoing investigation. He also said Archbishop Wesolowski has recently been questioned by Vatican prosecutors and will be questioned again in the future. After his first court appearance, judges placed Archbishop Wesolowski under house arrest. Tuesday’s Vatican statement said that due to health concerns, the Polish Archbishop now enjoys a certain freedom of movement but only within the Vatican City State and that he is still limited in his communications with people outside the Vatican.
The Dominican Prosecutor Brito met Pope Francis during his Wednesday audience and said afterwards that the Pope had told him that the truth must prevail in this case and that the judicial institutions of both states are acting in full liberty and within the norms.